Not only is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama the largest provider of healthcare benefits in the state, but the company is also United Way of Central Alabama’s (UWCA’s) top corporate partner. With a legacy of generosity and service, it’s no surprise that this year’s Blue Cross Day of Caring brought out more than 500 volunteers to show how much they really care about our community.
Blue Cross employees and their families, along with United Way Hands On, tackled a multitude of projects across several volunteer sites and made an enormous impact with their efforts. Here are some of the amazing things they accomplished in just one day!
- At the Community Food Bank of Central Alabama — Prepared food boxes for 650 households/13,000 meals
- At the Hueytown/Pleasant Grove Boys & Girls Club — Trimmed shrubs, painted and cleaned gym floors
- Assembly Projects:
- 21 bicycles for United Way Hands On
- 2,500 hygiene kits for The Salvation Army, Fellowship House and Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama
- 500 snack kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama, Girls Inc. of Central Alabama and United Way Area Agency on Aging
- 500 school pouches for Girls Inc. of Central Alabama and Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Alabama
- 4,000 silverware kits for The Firehouse Shelter
- Cards for Meals on Wheels clients and Ronald McDonald House families
The team truly represented their company’s culture of caring. Pam Foster, a 2022 UWCA Loaned Executive from Blue Cross, commented how much she loved being able to share this experience with her own family. “Day of Caring 2022 was awesome! My granddaughter Ryann enjoyed giving back,” she said.
UWCA is thrilled to see such a spirit of community service running through families and is deeply grateful to the many individuals at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama for their incredible generosity, support and commitment to our mission.